I haven’t shared a recipe in a while, and just came across this one and remembered how delicious it is. Do you ever get stuck making the same meals over and over and suddenly you realize you have tons of other recipes you forgot about? My 5 million cookbooks should serve as a reminder, but for some reason, they don’t.
Anyway, this is another recipe that I’m dubbing a “5-minute meal,” because it gets seasoned and put in the slow cooker, and preparation is really quick and easy. It’s the perfect meal on a night when you know you’ll be strapped for time. It’s also healthy, delicious, and budget-friendly.
Greek Chicken Pita Folds (from Pillsbury.com)
Yield: 4 sandwiches
Print this recipe
- 1 medium onion, halved, sliced
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon-pepper seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs or breasts (I like to use breasts)
- 4 pita bread folds
- 1/2 cup Yoplait® 99% Fat Free plain yogurt (from 2-lb container)
- 1 plum (Roma) tomato, sliced
- 1/2 medium cucumber, chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- Spray 3- to 4-quart slow cooker with cooking spray. In cooker, mix onion, garlic, lemon-pepper seasoning, oregano and allspice. Add chicken; coat with seasoning mixture.
- Cover; cook on Low heat setting 6 to 8 hours.
- About 10 minutes before serving, heat pita bread folds as directed on package. Meanwhile, remove chicken from cooker; place on plate. Stir yogurt into onion mixture. Shred chicken by pulling apart with 2 forks. Spoon chicken onto warm pita breads. Spoon onion mixture, using slotted spoon, onto chicken. Top with tomato and cucumber. Fold pita breads in half to serve.
- Pita bread folds are softer than regular pita bread, and fold without cracking. At the grocery store, look for the folds in the deli or near the pita breads.
- Substitute 3/4 teaspoon of salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper and 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel for the lemon-pepper seasoning.
- To shred tender slow-cooked chicken, place it on a large plate. Use 2 forks to separate chicken into shreds. Shredded chicken absorbs flavorful juices and makes delicious, easy-to-eat sandwiches.