If you’ve read my blog, you know the frustrations I’ve dealt with when it comes to getting my 3 1/2 year old to eat. And if you’re a mom who’s ever had a 3 1/2 year old, I’m willing to bet you’ve dealt with the same issue. I talked about how she never eats here and offered some solutions here.
I will never stop experimenting in trying to get her to eat, though I think most of it is just that I need to be patient and wait for the phase to pass. Recently I’ve found some new, healthy recipes that I can actually get her to eat so I thought I would share one of them with you today. After all, we’re in this together, friends. Solidarity!
Truthfully, this recipe is delicious for adults too, and it’s a great way to get lots of protein, whole wheat and fruit into your family’s diet. It’s also incredibly simple.
Peanut Butter Banana Sandwiches with “Crunchies”
As seen in Family Fun magazine
- 2 slices whole wheat bread
- Peanut butter (I prefer to buy all-natural peanut butter – meaning the only ingredients listed are peanuts. Did you know that JIF and other brands add hydrogenated oils and sugar? I don’t see the need! All-natural peanut butter is just as delicious with no added ingredients. I love Adams 100% natural that I buy at King Soopers, but there are several brands that make all natural options; just check the ingredients)
- 1/2 banana
- Sunflower seeds
- Lightly spread peanut butter on both slices of bread.
- Slice bananas about 1/4″ thick and place between 2 slices of bread.
- Cut sandwich into quarters.
- Add some extra peanut butter to 2 edges of each sandwich quarter (I usually cover the crust so I don’t have to waste it and cut it off for picky kids – mine don’t even realize it’s there)
- Dip peanut buttered edges in sunflower seeds.
I wasn’t sure how my kids would react to the sunflower seeds because they’ve never had them before, but both of them love the “crunches,” as we call them. They both gobble these up every time I make them (it probably helps that they are obsessed with peanut butter and bananas). Hopefully your little one will like them, too!